On Episode #31 of the Profits Over Wages Podcast, we talked to Phil Singleton - He is a web designer, SEO expert and award-winning author. Since 2005, Phil has owned and operated a digital agency based in Kansas City. In 2016, Phil and John Jantsch, of Duct Tape Marketing, co-wrote SEO for Growth which is an Amazon bestseller and has been featured on MSNBC, Entrepreneur and was named by Forbes as the #1 SEO book on its list of “Essential SEO Books For Every Entrepreneur to Read”. Other of Phil’s ventures include the popular Wordpress SEO plugging, WP SEO Structured Data Schema, that has been downloaded over 100,000 times in the last year and
Podcast Bookers, a service that helps marketers and executives get booked on established podcasts as a way to develop authority, personal branding, improve SEO, and most importantly, generate new leads and sales.
On this episode we talk about podcasting, personal branding and why it’s important, what mistakes small business owners make when it comes to SEO and what to do about it, and why you must look at your website as an asset and not just an expense or an online brochure. And much much more. Enjoy the show.
- [01:25] Phil talks about how and why he got into podcasting and all the SEO benefits that come out of it
- [02:48] The benefits of being a podcast guest on other established shows
- [05:10] Why Phil started Podcast Bookers to compliment his digital agency and help his clients even more
- [07:05] Why it’s important for SEO to transcribe your podcast episodes, Google loves logn form posts
- Link: www.REV.com - podcast transcribing service
- [11:03] The basics of SEO and what focusing on search engine optimization could mean for your small business
- [14:05] How Google has become part of the purchase process for more and more people
- [18:47] Why you must treat your website as an asset and not an expense or just digital brochure
- [19:10] What mistakes small businesses are making when it comes to SEO and what to do about it
- [23:48] What Google looks for when ranking websites
Link: Google Search Quality Evaluator Guidelines
- [28:01] Phil’s backstory and how he got to where he’s at now, he talks about quitting his job and moving to Asia and living there for 10 years, learning Mandarin, past businesses, moving back to to America and starting his digital agency in Kansas City
- Book: SEO for Growth
- [34:15] Phil’s Wordpress SEO Plugin (WP SEO Structured Data Schema) it has been downloaded dover 100k times
- [40:42] Where small business owners can get the biggest bang for their buck when it comes to search engine optimization
- [44:04] What habits helped make you successful?
- [44:43] What was the worst piece of advice you ever got?
- [45:49] What do you do to get through the tough times, why do you do what you do?
- [47:15] If you got the chance to start over, what would you do differently?
- [48:52] Have you ever turned down a client? And if so why?
- [53:50] If you had one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?
- [56:12] What is one thing you find to be true that most people would disagree with?
- [58:11] Do you have a favorite failure, is there one that set you up for a future success?
If you’d like Ricardo & Matthew to answer your question on the podcast, please leave a voicemail at 847-999-4486
Questions? We’d love to hear from you, you can email us at email@example.com. We’ll also answer lightning-round questions from Facebook & Instagram if you use the hashtag #AskTheProfitsPodcast.
If you like the podcast, please leave us a comment iTunes. We would really appreciate it and it would us help a lot on reaching more people.
PREVIOUS PODCAST EPISODES
#30 - DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE FAILURE? IS THERE ONE THAT SET YOU UP FOR A FUTURE SUCCESS?
On Episode #30 of the podcast, we decided to switch it up a bit. Back on episode 10, we began asking a series of questions to our guests, some questions more than others, and there was one that we kept getting great answers to and we’ve actually asked it the majority of the time since. And that is: “Do you have a favorite failure? Is there one that set you up for a future success?”
#29 - CREATING VALUE FOR YOUR COMMUNITY THROUGH REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT WITH NICK KATS
On this episode we talk about the pros and cons of investing on mixed-use properties, one of Nick’s videos going viral, and about what Nick is doing with his non-for-profit, Chicago Reform Committee (CRC) where he helps further showcase Chicago's hardworking population investing in their own city.
#28 - NETWORK MARKETING AND THE 5 KEYS OF MONEY MASTERY WITH JOHN SINGH
On this episode, we talk about the biggest reason why most people don’t succeed in network marketing and how to overcome it, wealth education and how to create long-term generational wealth, and John gives us insight into The 5 Keys of Money Mastery.